Sunday, February 19, 2012

Setting Goals

This is what true love looks like.
My goal for 2012 is to hit 199 pounds.  I know it doesn't sound like a great goal to some people, but to me it's a HUGE goal.  Just getting to change that first number to a 1 will be a dream come true.
Just 4 short years ago I topped out the scales at 267 pounds.  The highest weight I had ever been in my life.  I was happy and content with the way I looked.  People around me never made me feel that I was obese or unlikeable.  I tried out for Klondike Kate so I wasn't afraid of being teased or demeaned in anyway because of my size.  However, I did long to be healthier.  Walking around with all that extra weight was beginning to take a toll on my body.
I began with the Atkins Diet.  I focused on no carbohydrates and lots of protein.  I kept my carbs at only veggie carbs.  Yeah that worked for a while.  I got down to 217 pounds.  BUT at the cost of my health.  I ended up with an Intussusception.  It was painful and could have killed me.  The Diet didn't cause it, but it did make me resist giving it up just to keep losing the weight.
So my goal was more important than my life at one point.  In 2009 I had surgery to repair the intussusception and gave up Atkins.  I kept trying to go back to it, but my body rejected it.
Fast forward to 2011 and I'd put the weight back on.  I was at 254 pounds in April and miserable.  I just wanted to lose the weight once and for all, so the next goal was set.  Exercise!!!  
I managed to attain that goal by building up my strength and core muscles.  Today I feel much better than I did one year ago.  My balance is better and I'm not as accident prone.
When I joined Weight Watchers in October I wanted to lose 2 pounds a week.  I have since come to see that the journey to 145 is paved with .5 pound losses as well as some gains.  
I like my mini goals now.  I set my exercise goal at going to the gym to 2-5 times a week and using  the treadmill to build up from 30 minutes to 60 minutes.  
My first mini goal for weight losses has been the second number changing.  I got inspired by my trainer to get the second number to change to keep me focused on the goal.
Since joining WW I've lost 15 pounds, but it's been a journey filled with gains and losses.  A LOT of learning went into that 15 pounds.  I learned about myself too.  I know I can eat this way the rest of my life.  
My goal after reaching 145 pounds is to help other obese people know they can get healthy and reach their goals too.
However, the best goal I ever set for myself was to find a man who I could give all my love to who deserved it.  In my husband I have finally found my Soul Mate and Best Friend.  I think every woman deserves a man who can be her best friend and soul mate too.   Never settle!!!
My Soul Mate and My Valentine!!!
I joined ebates and you can too. Just click the link.  
 http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?referrerid=CIeNMI3A8mhzNhsxHaVh9A%3D%3D

1 comment:

  1. You are an inspiration. Great job! I also want to drop weight and have been working out. Tom and I are going to take a running class in March. Tom wants to run the Maine marathon in October and I am going to walk it if I don't like running. Today I start my training for the walking.

    ReplyDelete