Thursday, April 12, 2012

Give up or stay Focused



There are days when I just want to give up and throw in the towel. This week was filled with those types of days, but they had absolutely nothing to do with weight loss.
I’m feeling so frustrated by my Arthritis pain this week.  I just wish I could get one day without pain, but I know that’s not going to happen.  Arthritis doesn’t give days off from the pain. It just keeps reminding me I’m alive to feel pain.  Yup, alive enough to feel it. And just enough pain to remind me not to do too much.  I know I need to keep using my joints or lose all use of them.  So off to the gym I go and get on the treadmill for my 8,000 steps.  I’m enjoying Aquafit classes a little more now that I found an instructor I like.  I go twice a week for an hour. I get a good workout too because my face is very red afterward and my knees don’t hurt J
I spent last week concentrating on tracking my foods and eating more fiber.  It helped as the scale showed me down, but I just lost the same pounds I lost before. I need to work on losing “new” pounds, so to speak.  I’m not giving up on my journey because frankly I’ve come too far to turn around and go back to 267 pounds!  Yes, 267 pounds was my highest weight back in January of 2008.  It’s taken me 4 years to get to where I am now, but I know it’s a journey.  It’s all in the getting there!
My husband has started biking on the bike paths near our home.  He’s enjoying going out and people watching while getting different exercise than a treadmill can offer.
I’d love to bike ride too, but don’t think Hopkins is ready to see my arse on a tiny bike seat just yet.  I would like to find a recumbent bike though as I feel that would be easier on my knee joints and feet. 
I’m preparing myself for foot surgery in August. 3 months of no driving, it’s my right foot so illegal to drive with my left foot. I’m lining up drivers for my trips to and from work.  That part will be easy, the hard part will be not going to the gym 5 days a week.  I’m putting in an extra effort now so when I’m immobile I can still lose only it won’t be big numbers only like a half a pound a week.

It’s important to be prepared for anything life might throw at me.  I enjoyed the Easter holiday with my kids and Grandkids.  I love being able to be with my 80 yr old Father for holidays.  I know there’s no guarantee he’ll be here for the next one so I try to make the most of each one.  The Grandkids hunted for eggs.  That was fun for them and for us. I ate my share of junk that day, but got back on plan the next day.  I’m making sure I eat the things I really want  without depriving myself, but restraining myself just enough.  I hope that made sense to you.  
Today I am finally grasping how this Weight Watchers plan is truly for the rest of my life not until I reach my goal weight.  I’ll be eating on plan from now until I die.  This is my way of life.  I had no problem living with Atkins when I was on it.  I could resist the sugary stuff and carbs just fine.  Now, however, I need to find the balance of sugar and  carbs to keep my healthy way of life going in a positive direction.



So this leads me to this question….What keeps us focused on the goal and not side tracked by sweet distractions?

1 comment:

  1. Thank You for inviting me to check out your blog. I look forward to reading more and sharing with you. Your grandkids are just too cute for words.

    Rabble Rouser

    ReplyDelete